Thursday, August 26, 2010

And so it begins...

Ah, the inaugural Taste of Ted.  Originally I wanted to create a blog focused on my gastronomic plundering throughout the great state of Utah...particularly during the lunch hour.  Now, I will talk about food, possibly at great lengths, but my musings may dive into other realms as well.  Sadly, the biggest thing that kept me from blogging was coming up with a suitable name.  This week I thought of the name "The Musings of the Ubiquitous Ted Alma Holt," but my hopes were dashed when the domain 'mutah' was taken.  Immediately, "Taste of Ted" popped into my mind, and it was finished.


With that said, I must report where to find the best bear claw in the Beehive state.  Don't be put off by the store or location; this baker can fry and glaze to bring even the most pious health zealots to their knees, begging for more.  The location is in Duchesne, UT (yes, I had to Google the city to spell that blasted name) in the local grocery store called Al's Foodtown.


Everything I've tried is good, especially the fritters and glazed croissants, but the ultimate is their bear claw.  Flaky pastry, creamy filling, dripping with sweet sugary succulence.  My wife would go through a dozen of these if she could handle the subsequent sugar migraine.
Today's claw from Al's Foodtown (apparently my kitchen counter also acts as a 1980s photo backdrop)
I do recommend these doughnuts with some words of warning.  First, blood sugar levels will rise well above healthy dietary standards; employ self-restraint.  Second, don't expect any confections in the case if you arrive after lunch time.  Third, if you aren't a native to Duchesne, you will receive stares.  But if you're willing to purchase a trailer and tattoos, then parent a child who you will bring to the store wearing only a diaper, you'll fit right in.

4 comments:

  1. Ted,

    As a medical professional I must add that although scrumptuous and delectable as these food items may be - they should likely not ever be consumed by humankind for fear of cardiovascular disease, diabetes and certain death (immediate or delayed). Maybe they should have a release form or waiver to sign beforehand???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Know a good tattoo artist you could recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Next time we're in Utah, we'll stop there. Brandon is obsessed with finding delicious doughnut places. How did you find this place??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kev - Med school has made you soft! What about poutine or a delicious mille feuille? When Jake and I launch our "twice the fat, three times the taste" line of foods, we won't ask for your endorsement.
    Desiree - Sadly, no. But I'm sure if you checked the yellow pages in Duchesne, you would find a myriad of artistes.
    Jod - a coworker told me about them...Duchesne may be a little out of your way, but there are some killer fried creations in the Valley as well. More to come

    ReplyDelete